Can it drop its skin and dance?

Seal on Kaikoura beach

Seal sunning herself on rocky beach of Kaikoura, New Zealand

I’ve been a fan of the seal people (aka selchie or silkie) tales for many years. When I saw the ungainly creatures sleeping on the rocky beaches of Kaikoura on New Zealand’s South Island, I could understand why people who live at the sea’s edge have long seen magic in them.

Their eyes are large and luminous. In the sea they swim with the grace of sea dancers. On land they move awkwardly. Fisher folk have seen them come onto the land, drop their seal skins and dance in human form. Some say humans have intermarried with the seal folk.

The stories are enchanting. So is this video. A friend, Glenda, sent it to me. She knows I’m partial to animals. I’ve never seen a seal cuddling with a human. Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below

Riet Moet - May 7, 2010

Wat een schitterende momenten beleefde de mevrouw in t filmpje.
Als mij dat overkwam,zou het de mooiste dag in mijn leven geweest zijn!
Heel mooi!!!

storyroute admin - May 7, 2010

I agree completely, Riet. And for those of you who don’t read Dutch, Riet writes: “What a beautiful moment the woman in the film experienced. If that happened to me, it would be the happiest day of my life! Very nice!!!”

Karen Chace - May 7, 2010

Absolutely amazing. Reminds me of the time I swam with the dolphins. To be so close to these gorgeous creatures must have been an incredible experience. Thank you for sharing the joy Cathryn.

storyroute admin - May 7, 2010

I confess it makes me want to head to that island and hang around on the beach.

Jackie Baldwin - May 7, 2010

Oh, Cathryn, thank you so much for bringing this deliciously warm connection into our lives. We read about it. We tell it. But to actually see it happen… It was such a touching experience to watch… and, I agree, it makes me want to run off to a place where this can happen in such a natural and loving way.

Riet Moet - May 7, 2010

Dank je:storyroute admin,voor het vertalen.Ik woon in Nederland en kreeg dit filmpje toegestuurd door een lieve vriend die in Canada woont.
Maar ik had niet zo snel in de gaten dat dit een Engels artikel was,maar vond het zo bijzonder dat ik wel moest reageren.
Hartelijke groeten vanuit Holland.

storyroute admin - May 7, 2010

Please thank your Canadian friend for sending the link. I lived for one year in Nordwijk. I learned to read Dutch but, I confess, not to speak it. What I also learned is how kind and welcoming people in the Netherlands can be.

So for those of you reading the blog in English, here is a translation (hopefully accurate) of Riet’s lovely note: “Thanks, story admin, for translating. I live in the Netherlands and got this video sent by a dear friend who lives in Canada. I did not quickly realize that this is an English article, but found it so unusual that I have had to respond. Greetings from Holland.”